Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The beginning of the goodbyes

Today we said goodbye to our branch in Phitoanaluk. It was hard saying goodbye to people you know you probably wont ever see again. But don't worry to much because we are all friends on facebook now. I kind of felt like church was for us on Sunday. We bore our testimonies while Elder Iverson translated. We also sang a musical number. Then when church was over we passed out cookies and cards that we had made. Then..yes there is more...we took pictures. I doubt I will ever feel that much like a celebrity again. There were at least 5 cameras on us consistently for about ten minutes. People from the branch took turns being in pictures until the groups were just huge. Check out facebook if you wanna see the bazillions of pictures. Elder Iverson was pretty disgusted with the whole thing which made it even funnier.
This week we are just saying goodbye to people and things and activities. I'm going to miss bike riding with Laura and I'm going to miss Tesco and all of the people that recognize us as we go through town. I'm going to miss the simplicity of life and the fulfillment it brings but I think that I have learned a lot. I realize now how privileged I am to be an American and to have the gospel and to have a stable family. I have realized that service is a daily thing and doesn't require something as dramatic as moving to Thailand for the summer to teach. I thought I was doing a favor to mankind by coming here but since being here the people who get served the most are not the kids but us. Everyone goes out of their way to serve and take care of us. I almost feel that I understand how to serve better now. Believe me we are not a convenient group of girls to have around but no one ever makes us feel that way. I have grown to love this place and the people in it and I will be sad to say goodbye.
We have three days left in Phichit, three days in Cambodia, one day in Bangkok, then back to real life. Don't get me wrong I'm excited to move on but this adventure will be a difficult page to turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment